ArmyOCS.com Member

Anyone Else In This Class?

Postby amenser Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 am

Looking to connect with anyone else who is in this class too! :mrgreen:
jeffhenderson
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Anyone Else In This Class?

Postby jeffhenderson Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm slated for this class as well! I'm heading to Benning for basic Nov 20th. How about you?
amenser
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby amenser Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Leonard Wood for basic on 20 NOV. :| But my cohort from Richmond, VA is slated for Benning around that time!
8FIDO8
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby 8FIDO8 Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 pm

I will be attending this class as well. Bct at Benning on November 27th.
james87adams
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby james87adams Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Those of you at Benning for BCT, we may be seeing each other. I'm slotted in the same classes as you.

Also, you two may want to lock down your facebook accounts. AMenser and JeffHenderson, it is far too easy to find both of your profiles.
amenser
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby amenser Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:38 am

I don’t think it’s a prerequisite to have a totally unsearchable FB page... this isn’t special operations (and even my friends who are have searchable pages!).
jeffhenderson
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jeffhenderson Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 am

I'm not too worried about anyone looking at my FB since they'll only see racecars and my dogs... But I understand some people's preference for privacy.
james87adams
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby james87adams Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am

No problem, I figured I would let you all know in case you weren't comfortable with the amount of info that's out there.
amenser
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby amenser Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 am

Clearly we are all responding to an Internet message board and not all that worried about our online presence. :P
jeffhenderson
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jeffhenderson Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am

I noticed on james87adams introduction post you two began talking about the packing list. I've been told that most of what is required will be issued at BCT, but to get some things on my own. I've invested in some boots (Garmont T8s) and am currently breaking them in. What, if anything, are you two acquiring on your own?
amenser
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby amenser Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 am

Oh the boots thing is a good idea! There is a slideshow on the Benning OCS website of approved boots. I just have no idea what kinds of boots I can wear since they are all men’s sizes! They don’t make special women’s boots yet so I won’t have any idea until I sit down with the sales people at Commandoes to see what boots I’d like best. 5 years ago everybody at IBOLC wanted the Nike boots for rucking (cuz they are like sneakers) but that most likely will have changed by now.

I haven’t gotten anything on the OCS packing list yet but we are going to have time to get everything so I’m not too worried. I asked for some Outdoor Research tactical gloves (an optional item on the list), some ugly leather shoes for Christmas (required) and a nice pair of patent leather pumps for my ASUs but other than that I think we’ll be ok. They literally have the entire pack list at Commandos and you just get in and out in less than an hour. They have it down to a science.

I am going to Columbus in a few weeks to take my household goods to my mother’s and I intend on grabbing a million pairs of the green Darn Tough tactical boot socks. I can’t take them to basic but we WILL need them for OCS and they are the best for preventing blisters. Might go check out boots while I’m at it too, come to think of it!
james87adams
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby james87adams Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:05 pm

If you are looking at boots, make sure they are AR 670-1 compliant and either tan or coyote brown. There are a few sales right now on tan boots, which are compliant but only until September of 2019 (boots will probably be worn out by then), when the OCP change is completed, and only coyote boots will be permitted afterwards. I have a pair of Garmont T8's on the way in Tan, ended up with a great deal on them.
james87adams
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby james87adams Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm

I get the feeling we are all browsing the same websites and articles recommending Garmont T8's, boot socks, & gloves.
amenser
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby amenser Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

I mean... my bf says the wear out date for tan boots (worn only with tan shirt) is the end of THIS month. I know other things say 2019 but me personally, I’m not getting anything except Coyote Brown. Plus the boots we get in BCT will be brown.

But you do you. :P
james87adams
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby james87adams Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm

According to the Army Combat Uniform Summary of Changes
1 July 2015 to 30 September 2019 is the transition period
Army Combat Uniform in
Universal Camouflage Pattern
Boots Color Sand

Flame Resistant Army Combat
Uniform in Operation Enduring
Freedom Camouflage Pattern
Boots Sand or Coyote Brown

Army Combat Uniform in
Operational Camouflage Pattern
Boots Sand or Coyote Brown

And according to the OCS packing list:

'Special Notes on Army Uniforms:
Concerning Army Combat Uniform (ACU) Universal Camouflage Uniform (UCP) & Operational Camouflage Uniform (OCP):
1. The transition period to the OCP uniform began on 1 July 2015 and will end on 1 October 2019. During this period- both the ACU UCP and ACU OCP uniforms are authorized for wear.
2. During this period, Soldiers are authorized to wear the Sand undershirt (T-shirt); White, Tan, or Brown drawers; Sand rigger belt; and Tan combat boots with the ACU OCP coat and trousers.
3. The Tan 499 undershirt (T-shirt); Tan 499 rigger belt; and Coyote Brown Combat Boots are not authorized for wear with the ACU UCP coat and trousers.
4. Insignia and accouterments worn on the ACU must be of the corresponding camouflage pattern color. The background material of name tapes, shoulder sleeve insignia, and OCS insignia will match the camouflage pattern of the uniform.'
jeffhenderson
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jeffhenderson Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 am

Personally, I'm getting everything assuming that OCP and coyote are the only things I'm wearing
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm not big on spending your own money on gear unless you really identify a need for it. I would definitely put tactical gloves in that category unless you are going to be doing a lot of shooting or spending a lot of time in the field. Everyone's feet are different but I generally put boots in that category as well. The issue boots are generally pretty good.

I do make an exception for socks. In my opinion good socks will make as much difference for your feet, if not more, than fancy boots.* And they are a lot cheaper. I'm a huge fan of the Fox River Maximum socks. They are pretty affordable too. Land nav and the ruck marches at OCS aren't too tough. But spending a few bucks on good socks can save you some wear on your feet.

*spergy details omitted for brevity.

Return to “Class 004-18”